Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gator 1000 or The Ride That Wouldn't End--Part 2, What is that noise?

We had done all the mental gymnastics of trying to figure out if we could finish the ride that we had already started but with 7 hours already gone, it would have been virtually impossible to finish in 24 hours. With the KawaTanker now back among the living, Mike and I decided to head back to Jacksonville to restart the ride. Attempt number 1 was now history.

Our plan was to get back to the IBA hotel, rest awhile and then try to get started around 1900. When we got back to the hotel, we went to our room to see if we could get the room for Friday night, that way when we got back to the hotel around 1400, we would be able to crash for a few hours before the banquet that night.

Mike got on the phone while I attended to some things on the bike, mainly getting tools put back in some decent fashion from our earlier work and try to dry them off a little (they got pretty wet and the tour pac took on some water). When I got to the room, I saw that look of bad news on Mike's face...front desk informed him that the room had already been booked for the night and we would be on a waiting list. This was at 1400 or there about. The conversation from there went something like this:

R: Well, that stinks (used a few other words, but I'll keep it clean)
M: Yep, pretty much. So what we gonna do now?
R: I guess we can crash or we can get going and restart the ride.
M: I'm thinking that if we get restarted soon, we'll be done by 1200 tomorrow. Then we can find somewhere to crash for a couple hours.
R: Sounds like a plan. Lets pack these bikes up and get going.

Before we left, we made calls to Ross (Trosco for those on KawaNOW)who lives in Jacksonville and David (Dragonfly) who was staying locally with Ray (Skyking), to see if we could hook up local for a place to stay on Friday. We got an affirmative from Ross and left messages with David. Only problem was that both our phones where now almost dead from the calls and internet usage we had earlier in the day. So a trip to Target would have to be made to get chargers. Off to the bikes we go, with all our stuff from the room, not knowing if or where we would be crashing on our return.

Mike gets his bike all loaded and I am just a tick behind him. As I fire up KawaTanker, we hear a strange noise, a loud thumping at regular intervals. Mike tells me to cut it off. I look down and softly tell the ol' girl to quit being obstinant. Mike gets degeared again, and tells me to try it again. The thumping starts again.

M: Cut it off before something major happens.
R: Shoot, now what?
M: Let's get the tank off because if it isn't there, it is a main bearing or something serious.
R: #$%@*%#@
(Sound of tools being unloaded, again)

We got this tank removal down to a science now, Mike has the speedo cable undone in no time, I got the nachel off and he is unhooking the electrical connections. Three minutes tops, it is on the ground, again. We decide to start the bike off the rear tank. Both of us listen and look for what it could be. Eureka! It is found quickly. I had moved the fuel pump when we were searching earlier in the day. A quick push up on the pump and we are reassembling the KawaTanker after her third open heart surgery.

Off to Target and then fuel for the new starting receipt. We both top off with a starting time of 15:15, a little over 9 hours after our first start and 10 hours of being awake. Mike pulls away and stops to the side of the station to wait on me. I pull away and the KawaTanker makes that fateful noise again...Rrrrr...dead. WTF? Now you have really ticked me off old girl. THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, NOT NOW!

Mike sat on his bike and simply looked at me and said "Maybe we should just call it and head home", a face full of resignation that this quest was over before we even got it started. I said "Like hell it is. We are going to head south and if it breaks, we are closer to home. I think she will be fine." I put the choke on, hit the starter switch, and reved her for all she was worth. You aren't dying on me till the next fuel stop. Off we go!

We hit I-95 again and headed off to the scene of the original crime...Palatka and the Tim Teblow Gator statue. We arrived around 1630 and parked the bikes in the sunshine. KawaTanker, you will remain running now. We got our pictures and headed further southeast toward Leesburg and destination number two, Gator H/D.

The ride to Gator H/D was uneventful and pleasant. We rolled through the forest and some great country. Our destination was reached around 1800, finding a great spot across the street to take the obligatory picture with our flags. I was feeling a little chipper now so KawaTanker was turned off. Mike kinda gave me a sideways glance, like "what the heck are you thinking?". I just smiled, I knew she wouldn't let me down now. When we were done with the pictures, KawaTanker started without hesitation, just raring to go to our next destination...Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

To Be Continued...

Part 3 or What the heck is that under your bike?

No comments:

Post a Comment